The walk includes a short stretch along the River Crouch before turning inland through the fields and over the railway line before arriving in Althorne. From here explore the surrounding countryside and take in several classic country pubs and landmarks. The walk has no paved sections and includes several short road sections.
1. Starting at Althorne Station, cross over the railway line and follow the road towards the River Crouch. You will soon see the sea wall and the Marina. Turn left and head along the sea wall towards Burnham on Crouch, from here you will get a good view of the Marina and Bridgemarsh Island.
2. Continue along the seawall until you reach a water inlet, at this point head straight and you will join the path to Althorne (Footpath 7). Climbing towards Althorne, you will cross fields, woodland and the railway line before arriving on the village outskirts. Don’t forget to look back for stunning views across the estuary. Turn left and walk into the village towards the road junction withSummerhill Burnham Road, passing the Three Horseshoes public house. At the junction, turn right onto Summerhill Burnham Road and walk down the road until you reach the Recreation Ground at Southminster Road.
3. Cut through the Recreation Ground and join the Southminster Road, continue along the road for 140 yards until you see the footpath sign on the left. There are no pavements, so be careful of passing traffic. Turn left and follow the path across several fields until you reach Green Lane. Keep an eye out for field mice and kestrels on the way! Turn left onto Green Lane and follow the road until you reach the Huntsman and Hounds public house. There are no pavements, so be careful of passing traffic.
4. Turn left and cross the stile to take the footpath opposite the public house and follow it back towards Althorne. The path comes out near Windles Cottages on Burnham Road. Turn left and follow Burnham Road back to the Recreation Ground. Then take the first right onto Lower Chase, opposite the Recreation Ground. Continue along Lower Chase, the path turns left and heads south towards the church. Follow the path until you reach Upper Chase and the edge of St. Andrew’s churchyard. Bear right and follow the path through the churchyard until you reach Fambridge Road.
5. Turn right and follow the road until you reach the war memorial and Station Road. Look out for Crouch Ridge Vineyard on the left. At the war memorial, turn left onto Station Road and continue downhill until you reach the station where you started earlier.