Rail Safety Education
Essex & South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership (ESSCRP) have a team who specialise in working with young people in schools including those with special needs and with community groups.
Team members are Lynda Stone, Terri Ryland Community Rail Partnership Officers and Bramwell Bines a retired Greater Anglia train driver.
Between us we have over 70 years’ experience and knowledge of the railway industry. Since 2012 12,423 children have benefited from receiving Rail Safety training.
We work in partnership with Greater Anglia, Network Rail and British Transport Police to ensure all aspects of rail safety are covered within our presentations.
We provide FREE rail safety awareness programmes to highlight the dangers and promote using the rail system safely. We equip young people with the knowledge and skills enabling them to make positive informed choices in remaining safe on or around our rail network.
Our main audience is key stages 1 and 2 and people with learning disabilities. However, we adapt our program for older students as requested.
The program includes:
- Visit to the school
- Presentation including a short DVD
- Audience participation demonstrations e.g. how electricity passes through your body
- Travel by train along one of our branch lines to break down barriers and enhance understanding of how to use the railway
- To make students aware of rail safety issues and effects of trespass and vandalism/graffiti on perceptions of rail travel
- To encourage themed student art and project for use on stations in partnership with any other community groups
- Provide rail safety educational resources
Working with Network Rail
Terri has been working with Network Rail to produce a video on rail safety and what attractions the children could visit while travelling by train.
You can watch the video here
If you are interested in incorporating a broader rail, engineering and STEM based activities, a good starting point is a list of resources collated by the Young Rail Professionals Network. The activity packs help to give you an introduction to the rail sector and an overview of the types of roles people do.
Download the Activity pack here